Music Performance and Teaching Class
Master your music with Alexander Technique principles.
Developed specifically for musicians, these classes work towards improving your musical practice using Alexander Technique principles. We work towards pain free, healthy music, improved posture and mobility, management and relief of external and internal stresses and an overall improvement in your chosen performance area.
- Learn the basics of good dynamic posture
- Learn how to listen and cooperate with your body
- Increased awareness of your thoughts and movements
- Learn ways to avoid back pain, neck pain, overuse injuries and instrument carrying related strain
- Blend coordination, action planning and spatial & body knowledge to improve your skill in your chosen musical field
- Understand the relationship between mind, body and instrument and learn to live better, feel better and play better
WHO IS IT FOR?
- For Musicians over 12 years of age
- For musicians under 12yrs, please contact us so we can look at putting on an age appropriate class.
WHEN AND WHERE
When: Selective Tuesday evenings, 6pm – 8pm
Where: St Leonards, Sydney
“I have been involved with the Alexander Technique approach to music performance and ease of coordinated movement for 7 years with Greg Holdaway, a master teacher. During this time my brass instrument playing has radically changed. From being inwardly focussed and using excess muscle tension, I have been able to relax in my surroundings and have my ‘instrument’ as an integral extension of myself, as apart from something I am ‘playing’. This freedom has resulted in dramatically increased technical skill and ability to interact with others during a performance as well as more expansive tone improvements.”
“Exceeded my expectations. Information I can easily use in my daily teaching. New ways of thinking for my own playing.”
“Apart from the amazing facts about coordination, Alexander Technique also taught me an extremely important message – it is not about capabilities but about choices. Even though I have been developing this false posture for over ten years, I believe that I will fix my problem one day because I will choose to put effort in changing the way I play, as well as the way I think. Since the workshop, whenever I play the piano I felt more freedom and connected with every note I pressed.”